How to Apply for a Driving Test (Commercial Vehicles)
You can apply for driving tests for commercial vehicles (i.e. medium goods vehicle, heavy goods vehicle, public/private light bus, public/private bus or articulated vehicle) or taxi written test to be conducted throughout the territory by post to Shatin Licensing Office (Application for Driving Test (Commercial Vehicles)), Shatin Central Post Office Box number 79. For the fresh applicants or those who is not holding a valid learner's driving licence for commercial vehicles (except for the written test for Taxi), you may apply for a learner's driving licence in conjunction with the application for driving tests. With effect from 1 December 2014, applicants of driving tests are not required to apply for learner's driving licences in conjunction with the application of driving tests. However, please be reminded that if you wish to learn driving a motor vehicle on road, you must be the holder of a valid learner's driving licence(s) for that class of vehicle(s).
Please make sure that you fulfill the basic application pre-requisite that you are aged 21 years old or above, physically fit to drive (please refer to “First schedule to the Road Traffic (Driving Licences) Regulations – excepted diseases and physical disabilities” in the “Application for a Driving Test (Commercial Vehicle)” form - TD321) and you have held a valid full driving licence for private car or light goods vehicle for 3 years or above immediately preceding your application (if your full driving licence was obtained without undergoing a probationary driving period); or had completed a 12 months probationary driving period of private car or light goods vehicle and you have held a valid full driving licence for private car or light goods vehicle for at least 2 years immediately preceding your application; and you have not been convicted of Section 36 (Causing death by dangerous driving), Section 36A (Causing grievous bodily harm by dangerous driving), Section 39 (Driving a motor vehicle under the influence of drink), Section 39A (Driving, attempting to drive or being in charge of a motor vehicle with alcohol concentration above prescribed limit), Section 39B (Screening breath tests), Section 39C (Provision of specimens for alcohol analysis), Section 39J (Driving motor vehicle without proper control under influence of specified illicit drug), Section 39K (Driving motor vehicle with any concentration of specified illicit drug), Section 39L (Driving motor vehicle without proper control under influence of drug other than specified illicit drug), Section 39O(1) (Failure to undergo preliminary drug test), Section 39S (Failure to provide specimen of blood or urine) of the Road Traffic Ordinance (Cap. 374) during the 5 years immediately preceding the application.
If you have any physical disabilities, you may have to attend the driving ability assessment(s) before applying for a driving test. For the details, please click here.
Before you submit your application, you must, first of all, obtain the relevant application forms (TD 321 / TD 556). These forms are available at any of the licensing offices of the Transport Department, the Home Affairs Department Public Enquiry Service Centres, Post Offices, or through the Enquiry Hotline (852)2804 2600 to obtain a fax copy.
After you have completed the application form(s), please send it together with the required supporting documents and the appropriate fee(s) by crossed cheque payable to "the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region" to Shatin Licensing Office (Application for Driving Test (Commercial Vehicles)), Shatin Central Post Office Box number 79 by post.
The details of the supporting documents and fees are as follows:
|Application||Application Form||Hong Kong Identity Card||Existing Full Driving Licence|
|Learner's Driving Licence||TD 556||*Photocopy is needed||*Photocopy is needed|
|TD 321||*Photocopy is needed||*Photocopy is needed|
* If you submit your application for a learner's driving licence together with your application for a driving test, only one set of photocopy of the Hong Kong Identity Card and the full driving licence is required.
Apart from the above procedure, applicant can also book online to take or retake the driving test for commercial vehicle or taxi written test through the GovHK Online Booking for Road Test from 20 January 2008 onwards.
Attention: Applicants for a public light bus (PLB) driving licence on or after 1 June 2015 are required to attend and complete a Pre-service Course for PLB Drivers, which is specified and approved by Commissioner for Transport, before being issued of the PLB driving licence (Note: These Regulations do not apply to those who have already applied for the relevant driving test before the implementation date). For details, please click here.
Attention: With effect from 16 September 2008, applicants are required to produce proof of present address (residential address and correspondence address) which is issued not more than 3 months from now (e.g. water/electricity/gas/mobile phone bill or bank correspondence), when applying for the Registration of Vehicle, First Issue of Learner's Driving Licence / Full Driving Licence / Driving Instructor's Licence / Temporary Driving Licence / Vehicle Licence, Renewal of Full Driving Licence / Vehicle Licence, Direct Issue of Full Driving Licence and Change of Address. Transport Department may suspend the processing of the above applications until the production of address proof.
Validity of the test form
A test form is valid for 18 months with effect from the date of issue and entitles you to take all parts of a test within that period. It ceases to be effective if you fail in any part of the test; you have to purchase a new test form for a further test. It also ceases to be effective if you fail to attend a driving test unless:
|a.||you have given seven clear days' notice to the Commissioner for Transport of your inability to attend the test; or|
|b.||the Commissioner for Transport is satisfied that you, through circumstances beyond your control, are unable to attend the test.|
If you are unable to attend a driving test in the above circumstances, a new appointment will be arranged. Provided that the new appointment is arranged within 18 months from the date of issue of the test form, the same test form can be used for the test, otherwise you have to purchase a new one.
Validity of a Learner's Driving Licence
A learner's driving licence is valid for 12 months with effect from the date of issue and entitles you to learn the type of vehicle during prescribed period of time with a qualified Driving Instructor. For the applicants of Taxi written test, as you are not required to take a road test, you do not have the need to apply for a learner's driving licence.
What You Should Note
Conditions Imposed with Issue of Learner's Driving Licence
1. Except when undergoing a driving test or driving in the premises of a driving school within the meaning of Section 88J of the Road Traffic Ordinance (Cap.374) while following a driving instruction course and for the purpose of the course, a learner driver shall not drive a motor vehicle unless he/she is accompanied by a holder of a valid driving instructor's licence in respect of the class of vehicle specified in the learner's driving licence.
2. Unless authorized in writing by the Commissioner for Transport, a learner driver when driving a motor vehicle shall not carry any person in or on the vehicle other than a driving instructor, one other learner driver for the purpose of receiving driving instruction and one or more authorized examiner(s).
3. A learner driver shall not drive a motor vehicle unless the vehicle has:
(a) a handbrake easily accessible to the driving instructor (vehicle which has an effective system of remote braking control which is under the driving instructor's manual control can be used for the purpose of driving instruction course in the premises of a driving school within the meaning of Section 88J of the Road Traffic Ordinance (Cap.374)).
(b) securely fixed, at the front and rear, a white plate 250mm by 250mm on which shall appear in red the letter "L" with arms 200mm long and 25mm in width and within the arms and occupying an area 125mm shall also appear in red the Chinese character "[Image: text.gif]".
4. A learner driver may drive on any public road except those which by traffic signs of other legal provisions are prohibited to learner drivers, and only during such times as are specified hereunder -
|Mondays to Fridays -||6:00 a.m. to 7:30 a.m.|
|9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m|
|7:30 p.m. to 11:30 p.m.|
|Saturdays -||6:00 a.m. to 7:30 a.m.|
|9:30 a.m. to 11:30 p.m.|
|Sundays and Public Holidays -||6:00 a.m. to 11:30 p.m.|
5. Paras. (1),(2) and (3)(a) shall not apply to a learner driver when driving a motor cycle, an invalid carriage, or a motor vehicle designed to carry only a driver.
6. No variation shall be made to a learner's driving licence except by order of a court or by the Commissioner for Transport.
Application for Driving Ability Assessment
Any disabled person who wish to apply for a driving licence for commercial vehicle can follow the procedures set out below:
1. First, you should call 2713 7262 for the arrangement of an appointment for driving ability assessment.
2. You should attend the scheduled appointment at the Driving Services Section, 19 Pui Ching Road, Homantin, Kowloon for a simulator test to determine your fitness to drive.
3. You may then be referred to ReHabAid Centre to have a driver assessment and/or a medical check-up to confirm your suitability for driving and the need for any vehicle modifications if necessary.
4. Subject to the result of the above assessment(s), you will be given an approval letter stating the class(es) of vehicle you are permitted to drive or learn to drive and any vehicle modifications is required.
5. You may apply for a driving test for the class(es) stated in the approval letter by sendig the application form together with the relevant document and a copy of approval letter to the Shatin Licensing Office by post.
Note: If, for whatever reasons, an existing full driving licence holder, suffers from any kind of disease or disability which might cause the driving by him/her to be a source of danger to the public, he/she should make arrangement for an appointment for driving ability assessment.
Enquiries about the application for driving tests for commercial vehicles may be made by telephone at (852)2606 1676 or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Appendix: Driving Test Centre - Address and Telephone Number
(Not all the driving test centres will be open everyday and there are different arrangements for driving test for different vehicle types. For enquiries on driving test appointment, please call the Driving Test Appointment Office at (852) 2771 7723.)
[Location Map] [Link to GeoInfo Map]
Hong Kong Island
The New Territories