How To Apply For A Driving Test (Non-commercial Vehicles)
If you want to take a driving test for non-commercial vehicles (i.e. private car, light goods vehicle, motorcycle and motor tricycle), you must purchase a test form. Please approach the Hong Kong Licensing Office or the Kowloon Licensing Office to submit your application. The addresses of the above licensing offices are listed below:-
Hong Kong Licensing Office
3/F, United Centre, 95 Queensway , Hong Kong
Kowloon Licensing Office
2/F, Cheung Sha Wan Government Offices, 303 Cheung Sha Wan Road, Kowloon
Enquiries on driving tests: 2771 7723
Please make sure you fulfill the basic application pre-requisite that you are at least 18 years old. If you have any physical disabilities, you may have to attend the driving ability assessment(s) before applying for a driving test. For the details, please click here.
Applicants of Motor Cycle or Motor Tricycle driving test must pass the competence test arranged by any of the driving schools designated by the Transport Department; or must obtain approval from the Transport Department for exemption of the competence test before applying for driving test through the following application procedure.
Before you submit your application, you must obtain the "Application for a Driving Test (Private Car, Light Goods Vehicle, Motor Cycle and Motor Tricycle" first (form no. TD 82). If you do not possess a learner's driving licence, please submit your application of learner's driving licence together with your application for a driving test (form no. TD 555). These forms are available at any of the licensing offices of the Transport Department, the Home Affairs Department Public Enquiry Service Centres, Post Offices, or through the Enquiry Hotline (852)28042600 to obtain a fax copy.
After you have completed the application form, please submit it together with your learner's driving licence and the fee for driving test ($510) to the above licensing offices. You will be given an appointment letter. You can then sit for your driving test according to the date and venue printed on the appointment letter. Repeaters of driving test (non-commercial vehicle) can re-apply for a driving test either following the above procedures or through the GovHK Online Booking for Driving Tests with effect from 20 January 2008.
Attention : With effect from 16 September 2008, applicants are required to produce proof of present address (residential address and correspondence address) which is issued not more than 3 months from now (e.g. water/electricity/gas/mobile phone bill or bank correspondence), when applying for the Registration of Vehicle, First Issue of Learner's Driving Licence / Full Driving Licence / Driving Instructor's Licence / Temporary Driving Licence / Vehicle Licence, Renewal of Full Driving Licence / Vehicle Licence, Direct Issue of Full Driving Licence and Change of Address. Transport Department may suspend the processing of the above applications until the production of address proof.
What You Should Note
|[*]||Use the right application form. Before completing it, read the notes on the application form carefully;|
|[*]||Ensure that all the relevant parts in the form are duly completed;|
|[*]||Remember to sign the form;|
|[*]||Check if your address on the form is clear and correct; and|
|[*]||Ensure that your application form is enclosed with all required supporting documents.|
Validity of the test form
A test form is valid for 18 months with effect from the date of issue and entitles you to take all parts of a test within that period. It ceases to be effective if you fail in any part of the test; you have to purchase a new test form for a further test. It also ceases to be effective if you fail to attend a driving test unless:
|a.||you have given seven clear days' notice to the Commissioner for Transport of your inability to attend the test; or|
|b.||the Commissioner for Transport is satisfied that you, through circumstances beyond your control, are unable to attend the test.|
If you are unable to attend a driving test in the above circumstances, a new appointment will be arranged. Provided that the new appointment is arranged within 18 months from the date of issue of the test form, the same form can be used for the test, otherwise you have to purchase a new one.
Validity of a Learner's Driving Licence
A learner driving licence is valid for 12 months with effect from the date of issue and entitles you to learn the type of vehicle during prescribed period of time with a qualified Driving Instructor.
Conditions Imposed with Issue of Learner's Driving Licence
1. Except when undergoing a driving test or driving in the premises of a driving school within the meaning of Section 88J of the Road Traffic Ordinance (Cap.374) while following a driving instruction course and for the purpose of the course, a learner driver shall not drive a motor vehicle unless he/she is accompanied by a holder of a valid driving instructor's licence in respect of the class of vehicle specified in the learner's driving licence.
2. Unless authorized in writing by the Commissioner for Transport, a learner driver when driving a motor vehicle shall not carry any person in or on the vehicle other than a driving instructor, one other learner driver for the purpose of receiving driving instruction and one or more authorized examiner(s).
3. A learner driver shall not drive a motor vehicle unless the vehicle has:
(a) a handbrake easily accessible to the driving instructor (vehicle which has an effective system of remote braking control which is under the driving instructor's manual control can be used for the purpose of driving instruction course in the premises of a driving school within the meaning of Section 88J of the Road Traffic Ordinance (Cap.374)).
(b) securely fixed, at the front and rear, a white plate 250mm by 250mm on which shall appear in red the letter "L" with arms 200mm long and 25mm in width and within the arms and occupying an area 125mm shall also appear in red the Chinese character "[Image: text.gif]".
4. A learner driver may drive on any public road except those which by traffic signs of other legal provisions are prohibited to learner drivers, and only during such times as are specified hereunder -
|Mondays to Fridays -||6:00 a.m. to 7:30 a.m.|
|9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m|
|7:30 p.m. to 11:30 p.m.|
|Saturdays -||6:00 a.m. to 7:30 a.m.|
|9:30 a.m. to 11:30 p.m.|
|Sundays and Public Holidays -||6:00 a.m. to 11:30 p.m.|
5. Paras. (1),(2) and (3)(a) shall not apply to a learner driver when driving a motor cycle, an invalid carriage, or a motor vehicle designed to carry only a driver.
6. No variation shall be made to a learner's driving licence except by order of a court or by the Commissioner for Transport.
Application for Driving Ability Assessment
Any disabled person who wish to apply for a driving licence can follow the procedures set out below:
1. First, you should call 2713 7262 for the arrangement of an appointment for driving ability assessment.
2. You should attend the scheduled appointment at the Driving Services Section, 19 Pui Ching Road, Homantin, Kowloon for a simulator test to determine your fitness to drive.
3. You may then be referred to ReHabAid Centre to have a driver assessment and/or a medical check-up to confirm your suitability for driving and the need for any vehicle modifications if necessary.
4. Subject to the result of the above assessment(s), you will be given an approval letter stating the class(es) of vehicle you are permitted to drive or learn to drive and any vehicle modifications is required.
5. You may approach the Driving Test Appointment Office to apply for a driving test for the class(es) stated in the approval letter by submitting application form together with the relevant document and the approval letter.
Note: If, for whatever reasons, an existing full driving licence holder, suffers from any kind of disease or disability which might cause the driving by him/her to be a source of danger to the public, he/she should make arrangement for an appointment for driving ability assessment.
Enquiries may be made at (852) 2771 7723 or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Appendix: Driving Test Centre - Address and Telephone Number
(Not all the driving test centres will be open everyday and there are different arrangements for driving tests for different vehicle types. For enquiries on driving test appointment, please call the Driving Test Appointment Office at (852) 2771 7723.)
[Location Map Icon] [Link to GeoInfo Map Icon]
Hong Kong Island
|[*]||Happy Valley Driving Test Centre: 15 Hawthorn Road, Happy Valley, Hong Kong. tel. 25745857 [Location Map] [Link to GeoInfo Map]|
|[*]||So Kon Po Driving Test Centre: Stadium Path, So Kon Po, Hong Kong (near Confucius Hall Middle School) tel. 25777426 [Location Map] [Link to GeoInfo Map]|
|[*]||Sheung On Driving Test Centre: Sheung On Street, Chai Wan tel. 25150050 [Location Map] [Link to GeoInfo Map]|
|[*]||Driving Test Centre in New Horizon School of Motoring (Ap Lei Chau): 68 Lee Nam Road, Aberdeen, Hong Kong. tel. 25559626 [Location Map] [Link to GeoInfo Map]|
|[*]||Chung Yee Street Driving Test Centre: 5 Chung Yee Street, Homantin, Kowloon. tel. 27117670 [Location Map] [Link to GeoInfo Map]|
|[*]||Tin Kwong Road Driving Test Centre: 11 Tin Kwong Road, Kowloon. tel. 27113226 [Location Map] [Link to GeoInfo Map]|
|[*]||Yau Tong Driving Test Centre: Shop G3 and G4, Ka Wing Arcade, 6 Ka Wing St., Yau Tong, Kowloon. tel. 27757889 [Location Map] [Link to GeoInfo Map]|
|[*]||Pui Ching Road Driving Test Centre: 19 Pui Ching Road, Homantin, Kowloon. tel. 27136402 [Location Map] [Link to GeoInfo Map]|
|[*]||Chak On Road Driving Test Centre: 8 Chak On Road South, Shamshuipo, Kowloon. tel. 23192044 [Location Map] [Link to GeoInfo Map]|
|[*]||Driving Test Centre in Kwun Tong Driving School: Kwun Tong Vehicular Ferry Pier, Hoi Bun Road, Kwun Tong, Kowloon. tel. 24111906 [Location Map] [Link to GeoInfo Map]|
The New Territories
|[*]||Kwai Shing Driving Test Centre: 60 Kwai Shing Circuit, N.T. (next to Kwai Shing Vehicle Retention Centre) tel. 24394576 [Location Map] [Link to GeoInfo Map]|
|[*]||Tsuen Wan Driving Test Centre: 231 Texaco Road, Tsuen Wan, N.T. tel. 24070173 [Location Map] [Link to GeoInfo Map]|
|[*]||Shek Yam Driving Test Centre: 103 Lei Muk Road, Kwai Chung, N.T. tel. 26101392 [Location Map] [Link to GeoInfo Map]|
|[*]||Yuen On Driving Test Centre (mobile driving test centre): Yuen On Street, Shatin, N.T. [Location Map] [Link to GeoInfo Map]|
|[*]||Driving Test Centre in Hong Kong School of Motoring (Sha Tin): Shatin Wai Rd., Siu Lek Yuen, Shatin, N.T. tel. 26361721 [Location Map] [Link to GeoInfo Map]|
|[*]||Driving Test Centre in Hong Kong School of Motoring (Yuen Long): 38 Chung Yip Road, Yuen Long, N.T. tel. 24425622 [Location Map] [Link to GeoInfo Map]|