Chapter 3 : Eligibility for Application
3.1 Eligibility of applicants
- Applicants shall be owners of a right-hand drive private car with seating capacity of 5 or below5 registered and licensed6 in Hong Kong. Applicants should also be residents of Hong Kong holding a valid "Home Visit Permit".
- If the registered owner of the vehicle is a company, the company must be incorporated in Hong Kong and must authorize in writing a person7 who is a Hong Kong resident holding a valid “Home Visit Permit“ to act as the applicant.
- The applicant must be on board the private car concerned upon entering the Guangdong Province and returning to Hong Kong.
3.2 Eligibility of drivers
- Private cars concerned can be driven by not more than two designated drivers when entering the Guangdong Province, one of whom must be the applicant (i.e. the registered private car owner or the person authorized in writing by the company vehicle owner for submitting the application). If the vehicle owner is a company, the other designated driver must also be authorized by the company in writing.
- The designated driver must hold a valid Hong Kong Identity Card and a "Home Visit Permit".
- The designated driver must hold a valid Hong Kong full driving licence8 and a PRC Motor Vehicle Driving Licence with private car entitlement.
- Private cars concerned can only be driven by the designated drivers but not anyone else.
3.3 Other considerations
- The level of driving skills, experience and ability, etc. that are required of a driver in the Guangdong Province are quite different from that in Hong Kong. Therefore, for the sake of their own safety and that of the accompanying passengers, applicants should, on top of the basic eligibility requirements, consider whether they have adequate experience, knowledge, ability and confidence in driving in the Mainland before applying for an ad hoc quota.
||Including driver's seat
||The vehicle should possess a valid Hong Kong vehicle licence during the application for and upon the issue of Closed Road Permit. The Hong Kong vehicle licence should also be valid for at least 11 days upon the Closed Road Permit start date
||This person must be a director or staff member of the company
||The driving licence(s) of the designated driver(s) must be valid for at least 11 days from the Quota Start Date