The Transport Department (TD) has launched the Facilitation Measure since 13 December 2021, allowing cross-boundary vehicles stranded in the Mainland or Macao to return to Hong Kong by driving to Car Park 3 of the Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge (HZMB) Hong Kong Port/designated location and then being transferred by local towing service to the designated car testing centre/vehicle examination centre for vehicle examination and renewing the Hong Kong vehicle licence. In order to further assist cross-boundary vehicles which are still stranded in the Mainland or Macao to return to Hong Kong to complete the vehicle examination and licence renewal procedures, the TD has further implemented the Additional Facilitation Measure from 1 to 31 March 2023, in which eligible cross-boundary vehicles may be driven on a specified date along a designated route to the designated car testing centre/vehicle examination centre where an appointment had been scheduled in advance for vehicle examination upon their return to Hong Kong via the HZMB Port and complete the licence renewal procedures subsequently. Both the Facilitation Measure and the Additional Facilitation Measure are open for application so that more eligible cross-boundary vehicles will be able to return to Hong Kong for vehicle examination.
- Additional Facilitation Measure: 1 – 31 March 2023
- Facilitation Measure: 13 December 2021 – 16 June 2023
Date of Return of Vehicle
- Additional Facilitation Measure: 15 March – 14 April 2023
- Facilitation Measure: 27 December 2021 – 30 June 2023
Flowchart for the Application of Additional Facilitation Measure
Flowchart for the Application of Facilitation Measure
Notes for Attention
- The applicant must be the registered owner of the vehicle under application.
- An appointment for local towing service for the vehicle and appointment with the designated car testing centre / vehicle examination centre should have already been arranged. The designated driver shall also comply with the latest decease prevention measures and requirement of entering Hong Kong.
- The approved vehicle and its driver shall be covered by a policy of insurance in respect of third party risks pursuant to the Motor Vehicles Insurance (Third Party Risks) Ordinance (Chapter 272), the Mainland compulsory traffic accident liability insurance for motor vehicles and Macao statutory vehicle insurance (applicable to vehicles stranded in Macao) on the specified date.
- The approved vehicle shall remain a registered vehicle in Hong Kong at the time of application as well as the time of vehicle examination to ensure that it can undergo the vehicle examination at the designated car testing centre.
- If the application submitted two weeks in advance of the planned date of return is incomplete or not provided with all the necessary supporting documents, the TD may not be able to process the application as scheduled and may request the applicant to submit a new set of application. Subject to the actual situation, the applicant may have to adjust the planned date of return for further processing.
- Please submit the completed application form and the required documents to the Cross Boundary Unit of the Transport Department (firstname.lastname@example.org). Alternatively, the applicant may also submit the application in person or by an agent by post or via drop-in box (Address: Room 1032, 10/F, Harbour Building, 38 Pier Road, Central, Hong Kong), which however may take a longer time for processing.
Application Form (Only available in Traditional Chinese and English)
Application form of Assisting Cross-boundary Vehicles Stranded in the Mainland or Macao to Return to Hong Kong for Vehicle Examination
Required Supporting Documents for Application
The completed application form shall be submitted together with the relevant supporting documents:
- Copy of the valid Mainland Approval Notice (i.e. valid electronic approval notice issued by the Guangdong Public Security Department (not applicable to quota holders of the Regular Quota for Hong Kong Private Car to Macao);
- In the case of a company being the registered vehicle owner, copy of a valid Certificate of Incorporation/Certificate of Registration of Non-Hong Kong Company/Certificate of Change of Name/Certificate of Registration of Alteration of Name of Registered Non-Hong Kong Company (Business Registration Certificate will not be accepted);
- Copy of Hong Kong Vehicle Registration Document;
- Copies of the designated driver's identity document and valid Hong Kong Full Driving Licence;
- Copy of designated reserve driver's valid Hong Kong Full Driving Licence;
- Copy of Hong Kong third party risks insurance / cover note valid on the date of return;
- For return from the Mainland / Macao: Copy of Mainland compulsory traffic accident liability insurance for motor vehicles valid on the date of return;
- For return from Macao: Copy of Macao statutory vehicle insurance valid on the date of return (applicable to vehicles stranded in Macao);
- Booking record of towing service (Only applicable to the Facilitation Measure); and
- Booking record of vehicle examination service (Only applicable to the Additional Facilitation Measure).
Terms and Conditions
Terms & Conditions of Assisting Cross-boundary Vehicles Stranded in the Mainland or Macao to Return to Hong Kong for Vehicle Examination
Arrangement for Cross-boundary Vehicles Stranded in the Mainland or Macao to Return to Hong Kong for Vehicle Examination